About Community Connectors
Community Connectors is the largest strand of the Ageing Better in Camden, Big Lottery-funded programme running from July 2015 to 2021. It is run by Camden Community Centres’ Consortium – C4.
A project designed to empower older people (60+) living in Camden to reconnect with their communities. Our aim is to connect older people with activities of interest and for them to meet others to socialise.
We will take referrals from agencies and directly from older people and the public about any older person in the borough who is lonely or at risk of being lonely or socially isolated. We’ll then support each and every person to connect or reconnect with others, depending on their wishes, desires and needs.
The project uses a ‘Bobby on the Beat’ approach, drawing on a Local Area Co-ordination approach to community engagement. Area Coordinators (ACs) will become a familiar and trusted presence in these neighbourhoods. We will primarily work out in the community, building relationships helping us to identify individuals and their needs, as well as assets—in-kind support and volunteers—which will contribute to locality hubs and offer opportunities.
The Area Coordinators (ACs)—will work across each of the five Camden Housing Districts:
• Gospel Oak – based in Queen’s Crescent Community Association
• Kentish Town – based in Castlehaven Community Association
• Hampstead & Kilburn – based in Abbey Community Centre
• Camden Town – based in St Pancras Community Association
• Holborn – based in King’s Cross Brunswick Neighbourhood Association
There are three key themes:
1. We’ll test out asset-based community development approaches to tackling social isolation.
2. The most isolated and lonely older people will be contacted and supported to build friendships and community links.
3. Creating opportunities for older people, communities and delivery agencies to come together to share learning and top tips as the programme grows and develops.
If you would like to know more about Camden Community Connectors then please get in touch:
T: 0800 161 5716